The Workshop of Theses and Dissertations in HCI (WTD-IHC) is a forum dedicated to the presentation and discussion of ongoing Master’s and Doctoral research on Human-Computer Interaction and research devoted to improve social interaction and technology mediated collaboration. The goal of this workshop is to provide a rich, dynamic environment that:
1. promotes the visibility and improvement of ongoing research;
2. offers feedback and suggestions made by experienced HCI researchers;
3. allows students to improve their scientific writing and presentation skills;
4. promotes the exchange of ideas, integration and collaboration among students and researchers; and
5. promotes discussions and presentations of novel and challenging themes.
WTD-IHC submissions must report ongoing research. Researches that are concluded or about to be concluded fall outside the scope of the workshop. The following kinds of work are eligible:
- Doctoral research with a defined (but not necessarily approved) proposal, with defenses planned to happen from the first semester of 2020 on; and
- Master’s research with defenses planned for 2020.
You may submit your research to WTD-IHC even if you plan to submit another version of your work to another IHC 2019 track (for instance, full papers or demos). Submissions can be written either in Portuguese or English.
Authors must submit a .zip file comprising two documents:
- Document 1. Cover letter in PDF, containing:
- Title of the work;
- Student’s name;
- Name of supervisor(s);
- Level (Master’s or Doctorate);
- Name of the graduate program;
- Student’s contact e-mail;
- Supervisor’s contact e-mail;
- Year of enrollment in graduate program;
- Estimated date of defense;
- Activity schedule, distinguishing what is done (for instance, qualifying, proposal) from what is planned;
- Abstract in Portuguese or English (with 180 words maximum); and
- Document 2. Extended abstract (with authors’ names and affiliations), in PDF format, up to 4 pages long, including figures, tables, references and appendices, following the 2017 ACM Master article (SIGCHI) template. MS Word users should use the Interim layout.docx template and LaTex users should follow the sample-sigchi.tex template. In this abstract, we expect the following content:
- Research goal and problem definition;
- Theoretical foundations of the research, including a comparison to related works;
- Intended solution to the problem;
- Research methodology, explaining how the work will be developed and evaluated; and
- Expected contributions of the work.
Both documents must compose a single compressed file in .zip format to be submitted via the JEMS
system. We will desk-reject submissions that do not follow the .zip format containing the two .pdf files, abstracts that exceed four pages or that do not follow the publication format. It's mandatory that the submissions in JEMS have supervisors as co-authors.
Each submission will be reviewed by at least three HCI researchers. In case of conflicts, a senior researcher will do a meta-review to support the final decision. The authors of accepted papers must take into consideration the reviews when preparing the final, camera-ready version of the extended abstract.
Presentation and Publication
The accepted papers will be presented and discussed during WTD-IHC, with invited researchers and members of the program committee. As the workshop consists of a discussion forum for ongoing work, authors must register at the symposium and are expected to actively participate in WTD-IHC, not only presenting their work, but also contributing to their peers’ work. The activities and format of the workshop will be announced in time for participants to prepare so as to fully benefit from their participation. Accepted papers will be published at the IHC 2019 Extended Proceedings, as long as the student is registered in IHC 2019.
- Submission deadline: Jul 2nd, 2019
Jun 26th, 2019
- Notification of results: Aug 15th, 2019
- Submission of camera-ready: Aug 30th, 2019
- Thais Castro (UFAM) - email@example.com
- Vânia Neris (UFSCar) - firstname.lastname@example.org